The Clay Oven – Update #3

Two steps forward, one step back.  After adding 200-300kg more weight, I decided to consult Captain Courageous, and after much discussion came to the conclusion that there was no way that the deck would hold close to 400kg.

I have now stripped all the brick paving as well as the sand underlay and with the help of Brat Deluxe (Coitus Interruptus) moved the base to another (hopefully stronger) deck.  Then I relaid the bricks, built the door frame and moulded the sand form that defines the inner volume of the oven.  As mentioned in my last post the door height must be 63% of the inner dome height.  Another important measurement is the ratio of dome height to base diameter. This should be between 60 and 75%. Here are my final figures.

Door Height = 300mm
Dome Height = 476mm

Ratio = 63%

Base Diameter = 795mm

Ratio = 60%

This should work. Here are some images of the project as it stands now.

I built a little timber deck for the top of the door frame to rest on while I cemented it in.

formwithbricks

Here is what it looks like cemented with the inner sand form in the background.

innersand

This is what the sand form looks like.  This now gets covered with wet newspapers and the first (inner) layer of clay mix gets plastered over it (hopefully tomorrow).

sandform

Enough for now.

Synaptoman

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: