They say that “Nature hates a vacuum.” The same is true for me and space. I can’t bear to look at an unused piece of my garden that I just know that an Aquaponic system could fit into.
So I dug a hole.
I sloped it from 500mm in the shallow side to 1.2m in the deep side. I made it 4m long and 3m wide. Then I sat back, had a beer, and decided what to do with it.
I visualised a tank of about 10 000L that I could stock with Tilapia in Summer and Koi in Winter. For growbeds I’ll use some of my trusty 500mm PVC half pipes suspended somehow over the pond.
Then I threw a concrete base built some shuttering and cast 150mm re-inforced concrete walls.
Here are some action shots up to where I find myself now.
This is the beginning of the base. Note the re-inforcing
This is a shot of the completed base
This is the shuttering we used. They’re called EF Panels
After the shuttering came off
These are the 4 growbeds I’ll be using
Now I need to think some more.