“I think I’ll grow a beard.” Have you stopped to consider how absurd this sentence is. You don’t “grow” a beard, you just stop shaving. Doing NOTHING results in something, and that something just happens to be a beard. It’s like saying, “I think I’ll grow my lawn.”
According to Wikipedia, “In mathematics and physics chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that under certain conditions exhibit dynamics that are sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect)”
My own definition, and the context in which I use the term, chaos theory is, “what happens if I do nothing.” My beard is a typical example, Zimbabwe is another. Chaos theory is seen at work in classic novels, like William Golding’s, “Lord of the Flies”
Many years ago I viewed a house with an Estate Agent. The house seemed suspiciously cheap in the newspaper advertisement. As we pulled up in the driveway, the agent nervously said that she had something to tell us before we viewed the house. Apparently, the mother of the house had eloped with the daughters boyfriend (Jerry Springer !!) The father and the daughter were now left heart-broken at home. The father consoled himself by sitting in a chair in the lounge, drinking bottle after bottle of brandy, the daughter locked herself in her room and cried. The house was a disaster area. How long this had gone on for, I am not sure, but was the best real life example of “chaos theory” that I had ever seen. (PS. We bought the house.)
Any situation, machine, person, animal, relationship or environment will rapidly plunge into chaos if not regularly maintained. Preventive action (maintenance) is required to prevent chaos, remedial action is required if chaos has commenced. Preventive action is always cheaper than remedial action.
- If you don’t regularly shave, your beard will grow, and will be more difficult to shave when you eventually decide to do so.
- If you don’t regularly service your car, it will break down and will cost plenty to fix.
- If you don’t love and cherish your wife/partner, you will end up with a divorce/break-up, which will cost, and cost and cost.
- Without rules and limits, your children will grow up to be delinquents and criminals, and cost you plenty in money and emotion.
- Your annual medical check up will prevent a costly condition developing which could bankrupt, or even kill you.
- Fix the leaking roof now, before the ceiling, carpets and furniture gets flooded in the next heavy rains.
See what I mean?
Inactivity = Chaos.
Action = Order.
Do nothing, and reap the whirlwind. You have been warned !!
Quotation of the Day;
Don’t be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)